Volunteering for the One Parent Scholar House through mentoring, special projects and donation drives is a great way to help single parents and their children thrive and succeed. Our residents are working hard to provide a better future for their families, and your support allows them to break the cycle of poverty through higher education. Learn about ways that you can help One Parent Scholar House families succeed today:
- Life Skills Facilitators: A critical component of our program is providing not just housing and childcare, but social support services for all of our residents. We offer ongoing Life Skills classes, and we are always looking for qualified volunteers to join our team of facilitators who guide women through a planned curriculum for Life Skills. The classes focus on topics such as Parenting, Health & Wellness, Economic Independence, and Career Readiness.
- Special Celebrations: We are lucky to have businesses, churches and civic groups sponsor seasonal celebrations for our families. Some examples include Ashland, Inc. sponsoring a “Cookies with Santa” event during the holidays, and the Lexington Junior League sponsoring a “Back to School Ice Cream Social”. We have plenty of opportunities for groups to host a special party, whether it’s a Back to School bash, a Halloween or Fall Festival, or Easter Egg Hunt.
- Birthday Buddies Sponsor: It’s tough being a single parent on a college student budget! Our Birthday Buddies provide a “party in a bag” – a donation of a cake mix, frosting, candles, table decorations and a small, age-appropriate gift for either a girl or boy. It’s a great way to ensure a Happy Birthday for our littlest residents.
- Coordinate Donations: Picture all the items you use in a typical day – from furniture to cleaning supplies, personal hygiene products to school supplies and children’s clothing. One Parent Scholar House supplies all these items to our residents from donations from the community. Volunteers can organize donations from friends, family, and colleagues.
- Welcome Baskets: Help welcome our new One Parent Scholar House families by providing a Welcome Basket brimming with items that are useful when settling into a new home. Household items (air freshener, cleaning items, wipes,) decorative items, snacks and food items, etc. are all great ideas. Often, our residents are moving away from their families, and don’t know anyone here in Lexington. Having a small gift basket is a great way for them to feel welcome in their new homes.
Please contact Carey Cairo at email@example.com or call (859) 225-4673 for more information or to get involved with volunteering at One Parent Scholar House.